Thursday, November 5, 2009

How to Brew Beer In A Coffee Pot - part 2

Ever since I stumbled across How to brew beer in a coffee pot I've been fascinated with this topic. After a bit more searching I found that there wasn't very much about it out there other than How to brew beer in a coffee maker, using only materials commonly found on a modestly sized oceanographic research vessel, which appears to be the source document on this process. But, as I kept looking I kept coming up with the same two variations, no photos and little evidence of anyone having actually done it. I even posted a query to Craftbrewer Radio which resulted in an interesting discussion, but that's all.

I was about to put the whole idea of "How to brew beer in a coffee pot" to rest as just impractical, fanciful conjecture and had a bit of a rant about the kind of equipment and supplies you might find on a, "modestly sized oceanographic research vessel," and even went so far as to temperature test my Phillips Cafe Cino Coffee Maker. [Boiler exit temp = 83 deg C; Standby Temp = 70 deg C] and hastily came to the conclusion that the temperatures were too high and that it wouldn't really work effectively.

On the charge of being an "Instant Expert," how do you plead? Guilty Your Honor!

I wonder how many others out there, syndicating this little gem could be accused of the same? Then it occurred to me, "hang on genius! plain water temperature is a real reflection of the temp when it's got grain in it..." So, there was nothing else for it but to stick some grain in the pot and check the temps again.

However, I didn't know if this would work and I didn't want to waste good beer grain and hops on such an experimental, and by all apparent online posturing, an unproven methodology. Also, with the original source document as "thought experiment" fodder I thought why not a Gruit Ale, a beer made from grains with alternative bittering agents and brewers yeast - I had all the ingredients in the cupboard too - not like some of your "modestly sized oceanographic research vessels", No sir!

So that's what I did. Long story short, the Sparge water was 83 deg C but the sparge method was not suitable to this type of beer. The Mash Temperature rose timed stepwise increments over a period of 2.5 hours from approx. 45 deg C to 78 deg C (Mash Out) and Iodine Test -ve.

In essence - It Works! As an automated, multi-step infusion mash technique, set and forget for a couple of hours except for the occasional stirring, it works. Thus, I learned how to brew beer in a coffee pot.

Until next time,

Its Your Shout, Mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment